Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Day Trip to Taos

To give my friend some time to paint on my third day in Santa Fe, I headed to Taos in the morning on my own. The reason I come to visit Santa Fe quite often is because I have a very good friend who is an incredible artist (Cathy Carey, Art Studio San Diego-Santa Fe!) and she teaches classes in Santa Fe a few times each year.  I headed out around 9 AM for Taos. I really wanted to visit and photograph a church about 5 miles outside of Taos called San Francisco de Asis. On my way out of town, I noticed a patch of these beautiful yellow wildflowers on the side of the road. Well, I couldn't resist, I turned around and planted myself on the ground for a few shots. My favorite one is below.

Black and White of San Francisco de Asis Church in Ranchos de Taos
Before actually getting to the church, I turned down a wrong street and saw this interesting looking metal shed. I'm not exactly sure what it all means, but it is obviously some sort of religious symbolism.
I spent about 30 minutes here at San Francisco de Asis Church walking around and taking photos from many different angles. It was a very bright and sunny day, so it was a little challenging to take decent photos. Here are a few that I thought came out okay.
With purple sage in the foreground.
After photographing the church, I walked around the neighborhood for awhile and took a few more photos. I loved this house with the blue door, chilis and flowers out front.
After walking around for awhile, I got back in the car and started heading back toward Santa Fe. I stopped in Pilar to visit the Rio Grande Visitor Center and to take a few photos around Pilar.
Layers of color
Not sure the name of this river, but it a tributary of the Rio Grande.
Pilar Mountain
Grazing Horses
After Pilar, I headed back to Santa Fe and then we went for a walk around the Plaza and did some shopping. We tried to go to a pet bakery to buy Sazi something for her 9th birthday, but it was closed. We putzed around Collected Works Bookstore, which was a really cool place! Tonight we headed out for my absolute favorite restaurant in all of Santa Fe, Cafe Pasqual's, and they did not disappoint!! After dinner we walked back to my friend's place and sat outside on the deck and had some wine. A lovely end to a fun day! Tomorrow is my last full day and I am walking to the Plaza in the morning and Canyon Road in the Afternoon. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment