Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 5 - Tahquitz Canyon and Falls

Alas, the end of our trip to Palm Desert is drawing near. I had a mental list of four activities that I wanted to try to do during this trip, and today was our last day, and one thing remained...a hike to Tahquitz Falls. I hadn't been to Tahquitz Falls since the late 70's, when I was a teenager. We used to hike back to the falls quite often and get into all kinds of mischief! I recall that one of the big draws of the falls back then was that we could all go topless. I remember feeling very grown-up...haha.

On our final day, the sky was definitely threatening rain...especially over near the mountains, where Tahquitz was. We decided to drive over there anyway and at least check things out and talk to the ranger to see what the conditions were. When we arrived, it was sprinkling lightly. Cathy decided that she wanted to stay and paint at the ranger station, and I decided to do the hike. I was so happy that I did! The sprinkling disappeared about 10 minutes into the hike and never reappeared again. I had the whole place to myself...didn't see a single soul the whole hike, until I was on the return trip out. It was a very nostalgic hike, and it was rather meditative to hike alone and really notice everything around me. I also had the falls to myself, which was great! Here are a few photos from my last hike this trip.
I loved this view with Palm Springs in the distance.
There were a few of these cool little stone bridges (below) that took you from one side of the stream to the other.
 The tree colors were amazing.
 Cool Rock!
 Another view.
 Getting close to the falls now.

 Beautiful Tahquitz Falls.
 The trail here was very colorful.

 These trees formed a covering along the trail.
 The trail was very peaceful.
 One last view.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment